Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Finally Finished!

I am happy to announce that this very afternoon I finished my first quilt!

My loving hubby was nice enough to hold it up for me while I used my bad photo skills to show you all how nice my bad quilting skills look...lol.

It's 36 x 36 (or there-abouts)

Close up

I ended up using a few different fabrics then I had planned on but it's all part of the process. The border is satin, and I used some fleece neutral fleece that I wasn't planning on but I personally think it looks AWESOME.

I also have an update on my next quilt. Once again the fantastic Renee is mentoring me through the process but this is what I have so far.

FrontBack

It's called a 'Quilt as you go' quilt. Once I have as many squares as I want for whatever it is I'm making I will trim them all up and sew them all together. Originally this square was 2 plain circles but once they are cut down the middle and stitched together they make this cool pattern. The circles on the front side is a combination of 2 of 3 different sized circles that will be made from different colours of materials.

I am thinking of doing 3 x 6 mat (9 1/2 x 9 1/2 squares) to use as a change pad or something, but I'm still undecided.

I have to mention that Renee gave me the material for this whole project and including some of her hand dyed fabrics to use for the circles (and they are so beautiful). I am so grateful for the time and effort she has given to teach me and the love I know has gone into these fabrics. So ultimately I will dedicate this quilting project to her.

Needless to say I'm really excited about this new project, because it gives you a lot of free rain (?) on the stitching and the fabric etc. When this one is done I would like to try it again with a different shape. Renee's quilt (my inspiration for this project) was made in Autumn colours and used 3 different leaf shapes. But like Renee says 'I will let the fabric inspire me' so lets hope I find something wicked cool before I finish this one so I have some time to work on my attack plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...I dare you ;)